Posted By Kathleen Cheong
Did you know that 75% of vision loss could be avoided or treated if diagnosed early? We sometimes take for granted how important healthy eyesight is – in reality, every 12 minutes in Canada someone starts to lose his or her vision. This is why it is extremely important to take care of one of our body’s most important assets.
Here is a list of factors contributing to the maintenance of good eye health:
1) Visit your local optometrist. A regular eye exam can help prevent a lot of eye diseases such as glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
2) Eat well. A diet low in fats and and high in nutrients will help maintain your vision. Don’t forget your fresh fruits and veggies!
3) Practice a healthy lifestyle that includes physical activity, especially if you’re diabetic.
4) Quit smoking! Smokers have 3-4 times more of a chance to get AMD than non-smokers.
5) Wear sunglasses when outside to protect against UV rays and bright light. This is important for all seasons – and don’t forget to shield your kids’ eyes!
6) Protect your eyes if you play sports or work in conditions where your eyes may be at risk of damage.
7) Drink alcohol in moderation, as it has been proven that alcohol consumption can play a factor in developing cataracts.